Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Shalom, Israel! Manishma?

As some of you may or may not know, I have arrived in Israel! I actually got here Thursday afternoon, I just haven't had a chance to sit down and update the blog till now. Well, here I go.

Getting Here
First of all, my plane arrived 40 minutes early, which I thought was great. I would have time to leisurely go through the passport check, baggage claim and customs. Or so I thought. As it turned out I picked the wrong line at the passport checkpoint that day. The lady operating the booth must have been having the worst day of her life because as people in other lines were getting their passports stamped and approved, everyone in our line talked to this lady for what seemed like forever before either being referred to another person to do I don't even know what, or getting their passports begrudgingly approved. At one point she even asked another lady for a break, which she was denied. So part of me thinks she hadn't had lunch. Anyway, by the time the lady slammed my stamped passport back to me (after no more than a one minute conversation) and I went out into the arrivals gate, an hour and forty minutes had passed. Inbal and her brother Dvir were waiting patiently for me, pink sign and all! I have been staying with them in Rishon LeZion and they have been more than wonderful to me. I really cannot thank them enough. This is their shout-out haha.

Orientation
I started orientation the very next day on Friday. I am very excited for classes to start (they begin Sunday), and can't wait for the overnight trip they have planned for tomorrow and Thursday. (!!!) There are around 30 people in my specialization which has made it easy to meet new people, and since everyone is from all over the world each person is exciting to meet.

Tel Aviv
The city is great, I have been out and about exploring during the day, meeting up with friends after orientation (hey Asaf and Ami!), and loving every minute of it. Well, it is very hot here, so maybe I could do without the perspiration, but that's not so much of a problem when there is a completely new city at your fingertips. I have been to a Latin dance club on Bloomfield (called Castro? Carlos? don't really know), rooftop party near Rabin Square, a restaurant in the old train station of HaTachana right by the beach, been on the train many times, and have even ridden the bus a couple of times (the bus system is something I need to familiarize myself with a little more, it still intimidates me). Speaking of buses, the first one I ever took was evacuated randomly at one of the stops. I don't know why. Which is why I really need to learn Hebrew..

I want to make Tel Aviv my home, so I am viewing some apartments there. Today I went to see two, but they were near the central bus station (read: sketchy). So yeah... still homeless..

Judean Desert/Dead Sea overnight trip tomorrow. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Amy. I feel you. Whatever, learn Hebrew so you'll know when to make a run for it just in case. I'll be checking in periodically to see how things are progressing for you. Take care,

    Connie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! I look forward to reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete